March 31, 2021
Dear Families and Staff,
The health and safety of our students, teachers, and staff are our highest priorities. We have learned that a staff member, a Capital Prep student and a student athlete from another school who played sports with students at Capital Prep have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), and they have been advised to self-quarantine.
As soon as we were notified of the positive cases, HPS Health Services began collaborating closely with the District Health & Safety Team to follow our positive case protocol. The last day the positive Capital Prep student was in the building was March 25; the last day the student-athlete was in contact with Capital Prep students and the Capital Prep staff member was in the building was March 23. Contact tracing has been completed per Hartford Health Department guidelines; four staff members and 39 students were in close contact with the positive cases and have been advised to self-quarantine at home.
Hartford Public Schools’ custodial staff will follow protocols for cleaning and disinfecting the building. These protocols follow state and federal guidelines for preventing the spread of illness.
Teachers, staff, and district administration are working closely with the school to implement protocols and provide support as needed.
As a reminder, it is critical that parents or guardians keep their children home if they exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms and inform their child’s school immediately in the event their child is tested for COVID-19, tests positive for COVID-19, or if your family has been contacted by the health department regarding a potential exposure.
Below is the list of COVID-19 symptoms to monitor in family members:
❑ Fever (100.0° Fahrenheit or higher)
❑ Chills or shaking chills
❑ Uncontrolled new cough (not due to other known cause, such as chronic cough)
❑ Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
❑ New loss of taste or smell
Students and staff exhibiting any of the above symptoms, or feeling ill, should call their medical provider to report their symptoms and ask about testing prior to seeking in-person care at a clinic, physician’s office, or hospital. They should also contact the school nurse or their supervisor.
COVID-19 is spread mainly via person-to-person contact through contaminated air droplets from coughing and sneezing by an infected person. As with controlling the spread of other viruses, we urge students and staff to follow these preventive measures:
● Wash your hands frequently, but especially after using the restroom and before preparing or consuming food. Using soap and hot water, wash for about 20 seconds. Be sure to also wash your fingertips. When soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
● Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze inside the elbow of your arm.
● As much as you can, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
● Wear a face covering (mask) whenever there is a likelihood that you will be in the presence of others.
● Maintain social distancing (at least 6 feet) between yourself and others to the maximum extent possible.
Thank you for your partnership in keeping everyone in our community healthy and safe. If you have any questions, please contact the school directly or call the HPS Health Services Hotline at 860-695-8760.
Principal Capital Preparatory Magnet School
Click below to view the above letter and the letter in Spanish: